Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The journey begins....soon as the snow goes away

Can't think of a better time to get the golf blog rolling than the dead of a good Canadian winter.
First, some background.
After J school, and a short stint at a weekly paper, I passionately worked for a couple of daily papers but that sort of career came to an abrupt end in June of twenty-10, when I was downsized at the age of 35
What a shocker.
Yep, it was, but I didn't sit around and mope about it. I have a great new job and a lovely woman who shares a decent house with me in the 'burbs.
Life is good.
Anyways, a dozen years in the biz' gave me plenty of experience - including four years as a sports reporter - to add a legitimate blog site to the many that exist out there.
So why golf you may ask?
Well, for years I have procrastinated about learning the great game and playing it more often. Currently, I am among the three-or-four-times-a-summer-guys. You know them well - the groups you hate to be behind because they are hitting their used Wilsons all over the fairway (when they are not searching the woods).
Every summer I get out on the links and every time I tell myself I am going to golf more often. Every Saturday. Maybe twice a month. Then the summer turns to fall and I look back on how I spent the warm months and hitting that little white ball was not a part of it.
I have made a pact with myself to change that. One of my friends at work, Brian, is an avid golfer and we often chatted about the sport during the summer. "I golf every day, or try to" he told me once.
"That's what I do."
Brian eats, breathes and sleeps golf. He studied the sport in college and worked in the industry after graduation. We would often chat about how to connect the sport to some sort of awesome job.
Caddying for a pro, working for a big golf company. That sort of thing. Then I came up with this idea.
Why not marry learning to golf with a blog that incorporates great journalism? Over the course of the spring, summer and fall, I hope to hit as many golf courses as I can and golf with as many people as possible.
You see, if there is one thing I learned in all those years of daily deadlines, it is that everyone has a great story.  It doesn't matter if you are serving coffee at a local shop or in charge of a company with hundreds of employees. You have lived a life and experienced ups and downs along the way.
I hope to capture those stories and share them with the world. There will be a lot of laughs, struggles on the courses and lessons to be learned about the game and life itself. By summer's end, I hope to have a new appreciation of a game that has intrigued me for far too long.
And a host of new friends, of course. But it won't stop there. Golf is a life-long game. You never stop learning to play the game and this blog won't stop as long as I continue to hit the links.
"You never bond with anyone more than when you are golfing," Brian told me.
As soon as this snow goes away, I will be out there. In the meantime, I plan to chat up anyone with any sort of golf knowledge. Maybe read some books, watch some golf on the television, and, hopefully, pencil in some tee-times for the great adventure that awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment